Saturday, April 24, 2010

GAME: SDL Result

To be self-directed in learning is a valuable asset that eliminates any barriers that may be intentionally or unintentionally set to limit attainment of knowledge of any kind. As I reflect on the GAME plan that I developed and followed in Integrating Technology Across the Content Area, I see IT as a strategy of self-directed learning (SDL). The course text defines SDL as the ability to set personal learning goals, take actions to meet those goals, monitor progress toward reaching those goals and evaluate the effectiveness of the learning process and the learning outcomes (Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P., 2009). The components of this definition is the acronym for GAME.

My GAME plan as it relates to the definition of SDL has given me new insight into and about learning. Several months ago when I started my Walden journey, there were many educational issue and tools of which I had no knowledge. When some of these issues or tools were mentioned in discussions, I would always accuse my lack of knowledge to inadequate in service provided by the district. That WAS an excuse - an unacceptable excuse - because nobody is going to teach you everything! As individuals, we must take the initiative to teach ourselves somethings!

My reflection teaches me that there is actually nothing that is acceptable as a reason for my lack of knowledge other that a personal lack of initiative to seat a goal to learn of new strategies being applied in the secondary language arts class/ English. The Web has access to basically anything that anyone wants to learn about, and it comes from multiple sources that that can be validate. All that is needed to profit from the Web's knowledge reservoir is an inquisitive nature coupled with the initiative to pursue the goal.

This insight, a product of my GAME plan, will be a guiding light of my instructional practice. Encouraging my students to set goals, I will model as I guide them through the development of their own GAME plan as it relates to English 10. Giving them an opportunity to customize their learning, the GAME plan will enhance their self identity as well as their self-esteem as they drive their GAME plan on to educational turfs that build and promote learning in ways that are prescriptive only to them as the learners.

My GAME plan and many other aspects of this course have made me realize the importance of students sharing their opinions and ideas with an audience other that the teacher. They value their personal thoughts and want others to hear and understand them. Seeking feedback from peers and others of the real-world, students want to collaborate in and beyond the walls of my English 10 class! Monitoring and adjusting my instructional practice, I can implement the blog or the wiki to promote the collaborative process among my students, to illustrate my learning and to meet my technology integration goal. Using the discussing format of these technology tools, students learn to collaborate as they discuss relevant material that supports their understanding.

Bringing the blog to English 10 will be a valuable integration of technology. Fulfilling my goal of technology integration, the use of both the blog and the wiki will inspire my students to think critically and creatively as they synthesize, create and communicate knowledge. With continuous use of both technology tools, students will develop their personal sense of efficacy as we all realize that one of the most necessary realizations of education is the fact that we should ALL HAVE GAME!

Reference:

Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integratin for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. Mason, OH: Cengage Learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment