Thursday, April 15, 2010

GAME Brings Successful Goal!

An analysis and comparison of the National Education Standards for Students (NETS-S) and the National Education Standards for Teachers (NETS-T) reveal that they are inter-related. This inter-relationship puts both students and teachers on the court. Although the wording is different, the overall requirements and the objectives are the same. Following are some of the inter-related requirements of both students and teachers based on the Standards:

Both must be creative and innovative.
Both must communicate and collaborate using digital tools and
resources.
Both must create and design using digital tools.
Both must be knowledgeable of the ethical, civil and responsible use
of the Internet.

There is one requirement for teachers that students do not have, the teacher must model the objective being taught. This give the teacher the added responsibility of not only knowing but doing, an enduring learning.

Over the past several weeks, I have progressed in my GAME plan. I have read many sources that can promote my skill and abilities to create learning experiences that integrate digital tools and resources to increase student learning and creativity. I am experiencing both the wiki and the blog as I continue my QUEST. Digital storytelling is being added to my professional technological toolbox as I journey on to total success in learning to use and to model these skills and give my students engaging and enduring learning activities.

As aforementioned, the difference between the NETS-T and the NETS-S standards is that teachers must model the skills, goals, and objectives that they teach. As I reflect on my GAME Plan, I envision it as an instructional tool b which my students can identify Goals plan their Actions for achieving those goals, Monitor their actions for progress and/or alterations and Evaluate their actions to determine success or need for modification. With this strategic GAME play, I can teach and model the need for everyone to be goal-oriented. As goal-oriented students knowledgeable of the standards of which they must become proficient, students can set their GAME plan for each specified goal written in objective form to be covered in my English 10 content area. Giving them GAME allows them to customize their preference in achieving and succeeding as our inter-related QUEST continues.

2 comments:

  1. Shirley,

    I like how you used the words 'Giving them GAME..' It sends an empowerment message for the students. It would empower the students to give them GAME.

    I am also gaining knowledge of technology through my quest. There are bumps along the way that need to be smoothed out. For the most part, it has been smooth. I am still not real comfortable with the Wiki pages. I need to do more investigation on Wikis. Are you comfortable enough to teach your students about Wiki?

    Take Care,
    Lynette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynette,

    Thanks for your compliment. I like to empower the kids so that I can elevate them to their finest. It lets them know that I am in great support of the positive actions that they pursue and having GAME gives them a pursuit.

    I am gaining knowledge with the technology that I have been introduced to during my Walden experience. Although I am not totally proficient with them, my GAME plans says that proficiency is ON ITS WAY! Through continued personal use, I will be comfortable for its DEBUT.

    I like the collaboration with the Wiki and I will introduce it to my new students during the next school year. I think that is a great way to begin the year. A new year, a new technique that will bring success for all.

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete