Thursday, March 11, 2010

I got GAME!

Reading the Performance Standards and Indicators for Teachers set forth by the National Education Standards, I realize that my confidence level for most of the indicators is not very strong. It has only been in the past year that I became aware of the need to integrate technology into the designing of curriculum/lesson plans, implementing the curriculum/lessons or assessing the learning. Many things are new to me, but my experience with Walden has given me an opportunity to experiment with some technology tools, and my optimism tells me to pursue these experiments. Through continuous experiments, I can become more and more competent and confident as I strive to meet the National Education Standards for Teachers (NETS-T). Two indicators of the NETS-T in which I would like to strengthen my confidence are Standard 2, Indicator A and Standard 4, Indicator A.

GAME plan for Standard 2, Indicator A: Design or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity
  • G - My Goal is to create or adapt former learning experiences that uses digital tools and resources to increase student learning and creativity.
  • A - My Action is to first research to identify available digital tools and resources. Then, I must learn to use these tools and resources. After some uses have been learned, I must then creatively plan and design lessons that use these tools and resources to increase student learning and creativity.
  • M - As I Monitor my actions to achieve my goal, I will reflect at random times on the effectiveness of the procedures that I have undertaken to see if any changes need to be made in my actions. Monitoring will let me see if my Action needs to be re-thought and/or redone.
  • E - The Evaluation aspect of my plan will determine whether I am successful in fulfilling my goal. If not, it will indicate to me the part(s) of my goal that need to be modified to bring success to my endeavors.

GAME plan for Standard 4, Indicator A: Advocate, model and teach safe, legal and ethical use of digital information and technology, including respect for copyright, intellectual property and the appropriate documentation of sources

  • G - My Goal is to learn, support and teach the ethical and respectful use of digital information and technology.
  • A - My Action is to research and collaborate as I strive to learn the legal aspects of digital information and technology. Additionally, I must advocate and teach that the unethical and disrespectful use of digital information and technology is theft and can lead to some detrimental outcomes.
  • M - In Monitoring my actions, I will reflect on the gathered information to see if I am adequately selecting and collecting the information that will give me a sound understanding of the legalities of digital information and technology and if enough scenarios have been studied to strengthen my understanding.
  • E - In Evaluating my work, I will critically analyze the actions that I have taken to see if I can knowledgeably discuss the respectful and legal use of digital information and technology and/or give resources for additional information.

Using my GAME plans to design or adapt learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity and to advocate, model and teach safe, legal and ethical use of digital information and technology will strengthen not only my confidence but also my abilities. As a self-directed pursuer of knowledge, my strengthening will become my expertise. My expertise will become the light that brightens the learning experiences that will engage my students in a captivating and safe learning environment.

6 comments:

  1. Shirley,

    I think it's great how you come right out about not really being familiar with the technology standards until recently. Reading you Game Plan I can see that you have put a lot of thought into the goals you wish to accomplish. You Game Plan is well planned out and you seem ready to learn new things and conquer the unfamiliar. Good Luck with everything and I can't wait to see how you do with the plan you haveset forth for yourself.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I LOVE your title! It caught my attention right off the bat! You seem to be on the right track for fostering creativity in technology. I titled my post to have something up there, but after seeing yours, I am inspired to put more fun into assignments (both what I assign and am assigned). Many of our students view technology as fun, so why not capitalize on that? If we chose not to incorporate creativity, the level of engagement will most likely be mediocre regardless of the use of technology. Thank you for reminding me that learning does not have to be boring!

    Aundrea Croft

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katherine L. to Shirley

    As I read you GAME plan for your second goal, I really thought of the importance of your goal. As a teacher and a parent, I often think of the safety of using technologies in the classroom. When you are more informed about the safety concerns and how to teach your students appropriately, you will also be able to better discuss this with your students' parents as well. This communication is vital to keep the support of the community on the students' education. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katherine,

    Thanks for the supportive words! There is a right way and a wrong way to use anything, and technology is no different. As parents and teachers, we need to be very productive in teaching our children technology safety and ethics. Many broadcast and print stories prove this on a daily basis.
    Thanks for your well wishes!
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aundrea,
    Thanks! That's the English instructor in me. Creativity is recognized even in the title (smile)! I always tell my students that the title will either gain a reader or loose one. Another thing I tell them is that since you've got something to do you ought to do it with the best that you can. It becomes representative of you.
    Thanks again!
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer, the best way to address and correct a deficiency is to first identify and admit. Before I started my Walden experience, I knew absolutely nothing about most of the tools of technology that I have since been introduced. My experience is giving me an opportunity to explore and become efficient with some of them. I have to admit, though, that each opportunity reveals something that I did not realize earlier. I guess that's called learning, huh! (LOL) I am definitely ready to learn new things and to conquer the unfamiliar!
    Thanks for your encouraging words!
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete